Fake It, ‘Til You Make It

April 24, 2008

Yeah, I know Jesus said a bunch of stuff about whitewashed tombs, and dishes that were only clean on the outside. But in spite of that wisdom, I decided to do a little window dressing on my face:

That’s right, it’s my very own Amish beard. If I can’t become a peaceable person, then I can at least look like one. Granted, I don’t have the haircut, or the sweet flat hat, but maybe I’ll be a better person, just by proximity. Or at least stop muttering to people in traffic.

Day one was interesting. People at the store seemed to smile a little more than usual, but that just begs the question, “Are they looking at me, or am I looking at them (looking at me)?” Of course, the obviously Jewish man– wearing a long beard, black and white clothes, and a yalmulke– speaking right out to me while we waited for a crosswalk this morning gave me pause. But again, was that because of my beard, or simply because he has that very familiar manner of a person from the midwest? Still, it’s got me thinking about the uniforms we all wear, and what they communicate about us.

10 Responses to “Fake It, ‘Til You Make It”

1. Mike Croghan says:

Dude, we totally need to get you a sweet flat hat. Where do they sell those, I wonder…?

2. Ryan says:

I could probably get the hat and some denim overalls from my in-laws.

3. Jackie says:

Oh no, we need the real thing–black pants, we’ll make sure there are no buttons, only hook and eye closures–and we’ll be sure to put suspenders on them and then we’ll get you a nice dark purple or dark blue shirt to wear underneath it all. It’ll be awesome!

I admit I was a little freaked when I saw the picture at first. ;) The first thing I thought was “Abraham Lincoln”…perhaps the background had a subliminal effect on me.

Oh, and I have to add that my uncle (who drives Amish around in Lancaster county PA) was talking to a lady he was taking somewhere last week and asked her who she would prefer to have elected as president and she answered, “Well now….I don’t really know. I don’t really follow these things in the news at all.”

Can you imagine?? I admit…sometimes I think it would be nice to know that little about the goings-on in our country.

4. Trish Groe says:

I would love to be (blissfully) unaware of what goes on in this country. Mike, can’t say I am a fan of the beard but I do love what is on the inside…I guess I am lov’n your guts!!!

I do believe the terms are “simple” and especially, “plain.” Some hook and eye closure clothes and a bright lime green accessory just to throw off the curious.
    Tom D.M.

6. flippin says:

I’ll say it, I think it looks goofy. What say the betrothed? The alarm clock?

My word. That IS an Amish beard. I think i noticed something was a little … different, but didn’t really put it all together…

The horror! (mock gasp)

8. Ha! I dig the style … maybe I’ll try that next year. I got my beard dyed on March 27 and — as Mike pointed out on Monday, both of us shaved it over the weekend of April 26 or so.

By the way, good to meet you!

—Jayce (Jason Olshefsky)