Moved

March 5, 2007

The relocation of our dear friends to Michigan has been so sad and surreal that I half-expected to see them at church yesterday. But no, Schuyler wasn’t dutifully setting up the church laptop, Levi wasn’t running around with a big piece of Eucharist bread, and Maggie wasn’t stopping everything to look into my eyes and ask, “how are you?”. They’re really gone. Oh, man.

I want to write a properly exhaustive tribute, but that would be, well, exhausting. Their honesty and openness to a challenge both personally overwhelming and widely misunderstood was humbling, and inspiring. When we were spending so much time at the hospital, they visited regularly, and in fact brought us Two Amy’s pizza (twice!). Maggie wrote a beautiful tribute to my son (which I unconsciously plagiarized for my eulogy), and faced some very difficult challenges of her own with strength and earnestness. Schuyler wrote a withering, dead-nuts, loyal critique of DC hypocrisy (and of those who are critical of DC hypocrisy) in his critically acclaimed guest slot at the mighty WhyIHateDC blog (oh, and this one was almost as good). And, in spite of my independence and his bravado, he brought his compassionate expertise to bear for every single one of our carseat installations. Levi’s newfound appreciation of bread, and celebrated love of ‘mangojuice’, and his sweet prediction that, “I think Baby Ella will love it!” will long be remembered around our house.

Their contributions to our church family, and to my personal family, cannot be overstated. I don’t think I could have made it through the last two years without them.

8 Responses to “Moved”

I really felt their absence on Sunday, too. It just wasn’t the same :( (But I still love everyone left behind :) )

There was a huge hole in church on Sunday … at JJ and in my heart. In true Scarlett O’Hara tradition I’m not thinking about it or I will sink beneath the waves.

3. Julie in K'zoo says:

Relocated to Michigan… Wow! ANOTHER reason to roadtrip to Michigan this summer, you now have ANOTHER person to visit in this great state!

4. Oh. That makes me sad.

5. dstavlund@aol.com says:

my memory of Schuyler goes back to May when he graciously gave his time to chaufer Ruth Pamela and me from the twins birthplace to the hospital they were cared for-DC driving is a bit too much for me and Schuyler stepped up to the plate–He is a special young man!

Grandpa Dave

I, too, will cherish their huge smiles, quiet eagerness to help, unbelieveable strength and support, and going the extra mile(s) in what they did for all of us. If they need a break from flat land and cold weather, they are welcome on Signal Mtn, Tn.!! xoxoxoxo Nana

7. Lora says:

I’m sorry you lost the proximity of friends due to a re-lo. We’ve had this happen (a lot) and it sucks…a lot.

8. randy buist says:

stavlund,
    where r your friends in MI? we LOVE Michigan — of course, we liv here in MI!
    love ya bro!