Farewell, Toothless Grin

November 1, 2006

Two days ago– aka, this morning– we discovered that Ella is cutting her first tooth. Which goes a long way toward explaining her recent restlessness and generally sour disposition. So this this news comes as a kind of relief– maybe she’s not just generally a disagreeable child, after all.

But it also strikes me as a bit depressing– I actually sobbed with sadness when I was presented with the evidence. It’s (yet) another milestone that makes us miss her brother, sure. But even as it relates to her alone, it brings a certain sadness at the passing of time. I can’t believe she’s already getting her teeth, and I feel as though I’ve missed so much. Which is kind of crazy, since I’ve been with her every single day of her life thus far. But it only takes a second for me to see her walking, riding a bike, and going off to school. Then I’m giving her would-be boyfriends my vice-grip handshake and friendly-yet-unblinking stare, and watching her go off to college.

Where does the time go?

6 Responses to “Farewell, Toothless Grin”

1. Lae says:

Hi there! Welcome to my new blog, lets exchange links http://best-nature-photos.blogspot.com let me know, if u are agree, thanks :)

Oh so true the time goes so fast! I’m convinced I’m going to turn around and they are all going to married and gone! Also way to go Ella on the new tooth….your food world is starting to look up!

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! STOP IT!
    I swear, at age 3, Lizzy already finds me embarrassing at times. And that’s when we’re not even in public.
    Stop growing up, already.
    (but – as the above person noted — feeding is eventually a WHOLE lot easier when your child has teeth.)

4. randy buist says:

DO, I volunteered in Anna’s classroom (2nd grade) a few weeks ago. I picked her up after school, and she said, “Dad, next time you need to take out your ear ring. The kids were all whispering about it.”

It does go so fast, but age 2,3, and beyond only seeem to get more fun… thus far.

And yet, when I reflect as I put my oldest to bed at night, I often get tears in my eyes. It does go WAY too fast. But we are also catching incredible glimpses of the kingdom!

5. Ken says:

Mike, it truly is amazing how fast things changed. So far as I can tell, things have still not slowed down with Kieran. It seems every day he does something new. I am still in the “amazed that he can stand up and take steps” stage, while he is now running and using the bathroom trashcan to climb up onto the sink and retrive his tooth brush!!

Ken

6. Lora says:

and in the blink of an eye, as craig said last night, “they move out and break your heart.”