Graduation Day

June 22, 2006

Looks like today’s the day for Will to leave the ICU and head to the Heart and Kidney Unit (aka, ‘The Floor’). This is great news, though a little disconcerting for us in our 6-week dependence on one-on-one or two-on-one nursing care (our son will be sharing a nurse with three other patients) as well as full monitoring of cardio-pulmonary functions (they’ll be weaning the parents off of these monitors).

So I’m packing a bag to stay the night with Will. Interesting fact about me: I pack books before clothes. Or a toothbrush.

10 Responses to “Graduation Day”

What books are you packing?
    You and Will don’t have to share the same tiny cot, right? :)

2. Faye says:

What wonderful news this is. Now will Will and you have your own Private Room or are the other three in the same room? What is
    Will’s wieght now?

Love,
    Aunt Faye

3. emmegab says:

Mike, how bittersweet for you. While we are THRILLED for Will’s progress, we’ll be praying for an extra measure of peace of mind for you guys…and continued progress for him.

4. Greta says:

Well done, Will. What a fantastic accomplishment!

I can’t deny that stress will be upon you! Suspect several of us will have one eye open for Will!

Our thoughts and prayers will be with our “DC family”

Love,

Dad & Mom.

6. Doris Liesenfelt says:

For me it’s interesting because today is my Mom’s 83rd birthday and I can’t convince her that it’s not her 105th birthday as she thinks it is. I am enamored by the fact that Will has such an irone desire to carry on. He is beautiful you know just as Ella is…and what a symbol of hope and desire for those of us who can only watch from afar. I am so very grateful that you have chosen to share your joys, triumphs and fears with us.

With utmost gratitude,
    Doris

The fact that they think he’s ready for such a transition is so amazing, and scary! I guess you won’t be sleeping tonight? And that’s where the books come in! :)

Prayers and love,
    Shonda

8. Maggie says:

You have to pack books first, they’re heavy and square and they fit nicely in the bottom of the bag, right?

9. randy buist says:

Glad to hear that Ella hurled on you! Welcome to the fullness of fatherhood!!! Nadia did the same on my three days ago… what a warm feeling. :)

You need to know that we continue to hold you guys in our thoughts and prayers. Beyond our three kids, your two are talked about more than any others in this family.

Tons of Love!
    the Buist fam

10. Maranda T. says:

At least you packed a toothbrush! …right?