What??????

May 22, 2006

I taught my class this morning, then rushed back into the city to take Ella to her pediatrician and to see Will.

And in the 20 minutes I was inside, at high noon, on a busy street, someone bashed in my window and took my bag. Containing two classes worth of papers, exams, and grades. And the wife’s wallet. Along with the laptop, and iPod, and camera. Which means that all of the photos we’ve taken of the kids thus far are gone, gone, gone. I cannot believe this. If I wasn’t a father, I’d be writing really bad words right now.

So, dear team, please help me.

Someone google ‘imprecatory prayer’, someone else pray that whoever took this is covered in sores, someone else pray that God appears to him in a vision and tells him to give us our photos back. And someone pray that I don’t just lose my mind. Oh, man.

17 Responses to “What??????”

1. julie g in k'zoo says:

aw Mike that sucks, I thought some evil things about the scum that stole your bag.

However, I have decided to pray for a Paul-on-the-road-to-damascus type experience for you and that whoever took your bag has an amazing conversion experience and returns everything to you.

AHHHHHHHHHHH! I googled “curses on evil people” and came up with some great tools.

I think it’s time someone call Oprah, seriously. Still, it (the camera) could be returned? Once, someone bashed in JR’s car window and stole his briefcase which contained student term papers, a bible and some other stuff. The term papers mysteriously ended up strewn all over our lawn; they kept the bible. I’m just sayin’…

Shonda

3. Mike Croghan says:

Man, Mike, that is awful. When someone jimmied (better than smashed) my car window and took a lot of CDs (way better than all the stuff you lost – especially the photos!!), I remember how crappy and violated I felt. This is just too much. I’ll get on the “praying for a vision of Christ” bandwagon. And maybe the perp could feel just a dollop or two of heart-burning justice before feeling washed clean and forgiven…and returning all your stuff.

Man.

I did the photos for a wedding and someone broke into my car in NYC and took all the exposed, yet unprocessed film. All the wedding photos were gone! I hope your camera is returned. It happens. Someone broke into MY HOUSE in Jersey City and took my purse out — they broke the window so I know I didn’t just misplace my purse during my sleep that night. About two weeks later the purse was hanging on the front door when I when came home. Everything was still inside (except the cash.) But then again, we were broken into another time… this time they stole about $150 worth of feminine hygiene products (that’s their cost to produce and what they sold for in the “company store” which makes their actual market value something like $500.) They also stole a Rolli twin lens reflex, a Leica range finder, and a couple of Nikons. We never did get any of that back… but then again, I’m not sure I’d want the feminine hygiene products returned. I’ve got several more break-in stories if you’re interested (remember I hate the city and scum, excuse me, I mean people, who live in the city for a reason…)

5. Rebecca says:

Mike and Stacy, what can we do to help? Are you in need of somewhere to store your car that is not able to be locked now? Is there a lot of broken glass in it- is it too much to drive it? Do you need us to brainstorm up a car for you tonight?

6. P3T3RK3Y5 says:

oh nooooooooo…

7. wendy says:

Wow, I am telling you, this is one heck of a story these kids are going to have… think of the millions they will make when writting and selling thier autobiographys! They will be able to take great care of you in your old age. I am sure when Will makes his millions on his best selling book he will spring for a new camera and computer for dad!

grace and peace-

wendy

8. maria says:

All I can think is… holy shit. And that until I had a baby, I wouldn’t have understood about the pictures. We will be praying, and praying some more.

9. Ross says:

Well… Assuming that insurance is going to cover this, at least you’ll be stepping up to the new MacBook and more megapixels! Seriously though, I’m truly sorry to hear about this loss.. mainly just because it’s the LAST thing that you guys need right now. Like Becky said, please keep us posted if you need a car or a computer or anything else…

10. emmegab says:

no, no, no, NO…you guys, I’m so very sorry about this. And I AM praying specifically that they’re going to take one look at your computer and be convicted beyond all doubt and return it.

11. Lora says:

so very sorry….

12. timthewelsh says:

Sores.

I’m praying for sores.

Lots of sores.

I’m so sorry Mike, that this happened, especially right now when you guys are dealing with so much. I’ll be praying–I haven’t figured out what I’ll be praying yet, but there will definitely be prayer. This sucks so bad.

Erin B.

14. dave s says:

Mike:

Picturesof course are irreplacable but we can help for a replacement camera- I’d prefer NOT to send my cc number so please call us direct to get that info.

Iowa Dad

Darlings, I am so sorry. I cannot think of a bigger loss than that of your own persons. My gut aches for you.
    I’m praying for the stuff to be recovered somehow, and I am determining to take a ridiculous overabundance of photos from now until those kids are 18 to attempt to (not really, but to try to) make up for it. :( ((
    Love to you all.

16. Erin says:

May the thief see the photos and the comments you wrote on all the papers, and may a seed be planted. May s/he be turned to the path of righteousness. May s/he be financially blessed as s/he pursues the straight and narrow way, and may s/he come looking for you a few years down the road, with both the long-lost photos and a scholarship fund for the kids.

17. The Gillerd says:

Geez Mike, that’s terrible. May you be restored with twice what was taken.