Swedish Pancakes

May 1, 2006

I keep losing this recipe, so I thought I’d put it somewhere where I can find it.

4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp sugar
(vanilla)
1/2 stick melted butter

It’s good to sift the flour. If you don’t have a sifter, use a fine cheese grater. If you don’t have a cheese grater, then stop cooking altogether until you do.

After adding the flour, let it sit for a few minutes. It makes it better, though I don’t know why.

The butter is best melted by a little kid who wants to learn a little bit about cooking. Place small child on the counter next to the stovetop, and instruct them to move butter around in a large skillet (preferrably cast iron) with appropriate utensil. Observe. When the apprentice is ready for a bigger challenge, let them mix the wet and dry ingredients. In any case, the child should be told repeatedly that my dad gave me this recipe, and that the last meal I shared with my grandpa was Swedish pancakes.

The pancakes will be thin, and as wide as your largest skillet. Serve them with maple syrup or lingonberries, if you can find them. The first pancake never looks quite right; it is intended for the immediate sustenance of the cook.

8 Responses to “Swedish Pancakes”

I’ve found that you can waft the flour with a whisk in place of a sifter and that works really well when making pancakes (just in case there are no cheese graters to be found). ;-)

2. Julie says:

In my experience, the bizarre appearance of the 1st pancake is more than made up by the fact that it has absorbed the most butter.

I forgot to also say that the child can also help with the sifting or whisking of the flour. Altho whisking can sometimes be too much fun, if you know what I mean ;-) at least that has been my experience with a certain child that I know who helps me in the kitchen.

I know where to get lingonberries! IKEA, I love thee.
    And, I have a small, enthusiastic cook apprentice if anyone wants to rent her. CHEAP.

5. Dottie says:

How essential is the small child to the recipe? Is there a good substitution I’m likely to have on hand? Could I just sort of squat down to a small-child height and fake it or would that somehow affect the butter?

Mmm-hmm. I can still smell ‘em some weekend mornings. If I remember correctly, that kitchen counter perch on Cavendish provided a decent view of the swingset as the sun came up. The only tough part about the apprenticeship was that it was pretty hard to see the early a.m. cartoons from that spot. Lucky for me, Dad was a softy and still let me be his taste-tester–even when I had abandoned my post to watch something of claymation.
    Hey, Mike, why do you think they don’t serve them rolled up in restaurants? Are they leaving the fun to us, or is that just a strange Stavlund quirk?
    ~pls

7. ArborSam says:

My lovely wife introduced me to the exquisite luxury of Swedish pancakes, along with many other culinary excursions(like Spaetzle) that make my life so much richer. These things take longer to prepare, but the reward is amazing. LINGONBERRIES…I write that with emphasis, from the forests of Sweden, not too tart not to sweet…perfection. I stock up whenever I go to IKEA. These are the things that my father did not pass to me, but I will pass to my children, as you so eloquently expressed. I love this blog.

8. dad says:

I’ve learned to enjoy “Swedes” with plain syrup, Maple Syrup ,strawberry jam- EVEN plain! One of the secrets of “the best” is the careful blending of the eggs and flour

Iowa Dad