Dilemmas

May 16, 2006

To write or speak? This is a question. Audioblogging is easy, and quick. Podcasters love it. Writing is more enduring, somehow. But it also seems more demanding, at least for a perfectionist like me. But the wife is hassling me about my lazy audioblogging– “the kids will want to read this someday, and those files will disappear.” The beginnings of parental guilt, no doubt, and likely the beginning of the dreaded ‘scrapbook guilt’. But she’s undoubtedly right. So maybe I’ll compromise: stream-of-consciousness writing with audio when necessary. In any case, my brain seems to be working a little better now. I just need to not worry about bad spelling and tortured grammar– “don’t I want the kids to learn to write well?” Just breathe, Mike.

To stay, or to go? This is a bigger question. Our tiny home, 30 or 40 minutes from the hospital, is calling us. To be close to our stuff, and to have our daughter ‘home’, and to spend even a little time nesting seems very appealing. And to be closer to our exceptional church family and to subject ourselves to their laundry help and meals and caring for our every whim will be wonderful, too.

And yet our uber-generous friends, Nat and Paige, have opened their home to us, and it’s only about 3 blocks from Children’s hospital. It gives us a great deal of psychological comfort to be close to our son. And depending on the day, we hear that 40 minutes is not too far, or might well be too far. Our son is stable, but these kids can get into big trouble very, very quickly. So we’d want to be able to pick up and get to his bedside in minutes if they called us. And while the wife’s parents had to leave yesterday to care for Will’s great-grandfather (and his namesake) who had a serious stroke over the weekend, our dear sister-in-law was kind enough to come to help us for a few days yesterday (she’s staying with us here). So this place feels like ‘home’ a little, too. I guess we’ll see how the boy is doing through today and try not to let this decision stress us out too much.

Mostly, though, we’re so encouraged to have our ‘home’ travel with us. With family and friends who are sometimes far away, but who we feel very, very close to us. Your emails and comments give us great joy, and tears, and support, even if we don’t respond. And your prayers are giving us strength that is so powerful that it is a little unbelievable. Thanks be to God.

8 Responses to “Dilemmas”

1. Dawn in Chicago says:

Written or audio…we appreciate being ‘close’ to you all during this adventure. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Love to you all –
    Mike, Stacy, Ella and Will!
    That fits together so nicely!

2. emmegab says:

oh, Mike. It’s so good to “see” you again, as much as it’s been good to hear you over the past few days. There’s something very comforting and hopeful about seeing your words as opposed to hearing them!
    of COURSE we’re still full of prayers and hope for you guys, looking forward daily to the good progress of little Will and happiness of little Ella.
    and just use that sister-in-law of yours for everything you need. you know she LOVES it.
    jen

We will take words on a page or audio posts, just whatever is the most convenient for you. We’re all just so grateful to be informed, with all that is going on there.

Love and peace to Stacy,
    Shonda

4. Iowa Dad says:

STAVLUND’S

If you take it to a vote we’d prefer words an a page..Your photos of the kids are BEAUTIFUL

5. Iowa Dad says:

STAVLUND’S

I dont mean to give the wife any ideas, but if *I* were the mom I’d make you transcribe all of your audio posts. I know exactly what she means about the kids wanting to read this stuff some day. At the end of every month, I print out my blog and store it away for Elizabeth. My blog isn’t about her, but it does capture so much of her life… and the struggles of her father… Yeah, you better not let the wife read this comment or you’ll be transcribing those audio posts for sure.

I just saw one of the most beautiful pictures I’ve seen in my life!! your son and daughter!! Mike/Stacy, I’m so happy to see the little ones here and I’m searching for words to express my excitement… I have none but a big hearty “YESSS!!!!” (see big cheesy grin and squinted eyes).

blessings on your doubled family!
    john (the one in oklahoma)

One more thought… isn’t it kinda nice that right now the “bigger question” is to stay or go!?!? After everything that we’ve prayed for and everything that we’ve worried about, it’s so amazing that the decision to stay with your friends or go back to your place has been elevated to “blog worthy” That just says so much! Heck, I’m just so greatful and thankful that Will is well enough that you can even consider being 40 mintues away. I’m praying that all of the decisions you face and all of the problems you encounter continue to be this difficult.