Tiny Elves Afoot

April 10, 2006

While we were away today, someone snuck into our house. So that, when I came home this afternoon, I was greeted by a table overflowing with presents. Diapers, and more diapers. Baby wipes, and more baby wipes (and even more, for good measure). Blankets, towels, cloth diapers, and burp cloths (dang, do babies keep any liquids inside of them?). And something called ‘Butt Paste’ (is that for me?). Plus a bunch of the cutest baby clothes (including an only slightly veiled suggestion of a particular name… don’t think I didn’t notice!). And, detergent, and lotions, and a whole bunch of other stuff, plus cute baskets to keep it all in.

Sitting here with a nice baked ziti and garlic bread, I’m feeling very loved, indeed. Here’s to good friends.

9 Responses to “Tiny Elves Afoot”

1. dawnrw says:

Butt paste is pretty handy for runner’s rash – though I’m partial to Burt’s Bees Diaper ointment myself.

2. Mike Croghan says:

Ryan, enough already with the Thor!

I think Byrghir and Ingaborg Stavlund have a nice ring….

;-)

Hey, I liked Thor. My friend Thor was pretty cool. He was a cool co-worker, a friend, great dad to his own son, and he collected cool old Mustangs. He about eight of them. There is nothing wrong with the name Thor.

Mike, As you have done unto others, so shall it be done unto you. ;)
    Now I’ve gotta tell my Thor story: This very sweet guy named Thor went to my on-campus church in college. As I say, he was very sweet and simple. A little too sweet and simple, really. A little too good to be existing on this planet. So he asked me out. This might even have been my first official date — ugh. We went to a movie. I dashed from car to dorm afterward so that nothing else could be suggested (dinner or something). The next day, he stood up in church and said how happy and thankful he was that God had blessed him with someone new in his life, and how high his hopes were for this new thing. I just about died. That was my lesson in turning down the sympathy date.
    I later heard that he went out twice with a good friend of my (later) roommate, and at that point, introduced her to his entire family. Yikes.

5. Mojo says:

Byrghir just sounds like something you lifted from Tolkien. Everybody knows the coolness of Thor, although Eroch has its own special charms…

I have two things on excellent authority.

First, babies keep enough liquids inside of them to grow. They keep growing until they are quite large and then they become insolent and talk back. Enjoy them whilst they spew and are cute, but not yet insolent.

Second, Thor was not the name of which Mike spake. Thor is an excellent name … the god of the hammer, thunder and lightning. It would be a great name to give your son it will give him strength, and will, and fight and red hair.

Hmmm… the Thor I knew did not have red hair.

Okay … there’s just the teensiest possibility that I made that part up. Because it sounded so good and went along really well with the rest of the story.