So, for my beard’s three-month birthday, I gave it a special treat: a frothy shampoo. I last shaved for my brother-in-law‘s baptism. I’ve kept the thing for the following reasons:
1. Because I have no real responsibilities.
2. Because the wife don’t mind the look of it, if you know what I mean.
3. Because I am amused by the way otherwise gentle and well-mannered people will just tell you that they don’t like your appearance. Which gives me a bit of empathy for the wife, since poeple do the same thing to her these days (one person told her she must be carrying a boy, because her face is now ‘ugly’).
4. Because we were talking about the prophets at church, and they seem ‘beardy’.
5. Because it’s now Lent, and Jesus is in the wilderness without a razor.
6. Because I can.
7. Because a friend told me that I look like Charlie Manson.
8. Because I wanted to know if I am man enough to be a father.
9. Because people now seem more comfortable telling me that they are felons.
10. Because I’m constantly amazed at the rainbow of colors found therein. I’m one color away from being able to knit an American flag out of the thing.