Hope, and a Hand

March 15, 2006

Yesterday, we met with the Director of Neonatology at the hospital where we’ll have our kids. He was a warm and kind and very patient man (he gave us one hour of his day with essentially zero notice). From Egypt, his accent was familiar and comforting, and his compassion was deep.

He gave us a very strong dose of reality about our son: about his first few days, his multiple surgeries, and really the first few years of his life (children with HLHS are very suceptible to all kinds of otherwise common problems, and, should he survive the surgeries, we should still expect him to spend about 50% of his first 3-5 years of life in the hospital). He gently challenged us toward the possibility and propriety and kindness of letting go, if that seems appropriate at the time.

At the same time, he affirmed his desire and ability to offer the absolute highest standard of care to our son should he need it. He is exceedingly familiar with the condition, having worked with many, many cases. He is world-reknown for his work with all kinds of sick newborn children. And my wife has worked with him many times before, so our confidence in him and his department is complete.

When we were thanking him and leaving, he wrote his cell phone number on the back of his card. “I have my phone on 24 hours a day. Please call me when you are going to the hospital. I want to be there when your son is born,” he said, and looked deep into our teary eyes. Namaste.

9 Responses to “Hope, and a Hand”

1. Deanna says:

I am so thankful for the competency and compassion of all the professionals you’re working with. They are the hands and feet of those of us who wish so strongly to do something and can’t. I hold your doctors in my prayers daily.

Dee, I completely agree! When I feel so helpless, it’s good to know that there are wonderful professional there for you guys.

Mike, how unimaginably hard. I hope your decision is an obvious one to make, whatever it will be. And I’m praying for your sweet babies.

I cannot believe what wonderful doctors and nurses and care professionals you have been surrounded with. jehovah jireh … shalom.

5. Dawn in Chicago says:

Michael – You are Stacy (and babies!) are OFTEN in my thoughts and prayers! May you find peace and joy in the beauty that God gives to you!

When it comes down to it, great family and friends during a hard situation is a wonderful thing; having a great doctor who hasn’t lost his compassion is a miracle. I am rejoicing that you have both.

Shonda Caines

7. Grandma Ruth says:

Mike & Stacy,
    Thank you for your latest information.
    I believe that your son will be teaching all of us many things ,such as compassion deeper than we have ever been before.

8. Frank and Trish says:

thank you for your honesty, transparancy, and dedication to communication. God is surely with you both and we are thankful for His Hand. We wish and pray that HE blesses you with HIS Strength, Courage, Peace and Wisdom, These are our prayers.

9. WMS says:

mmmmm…. warmth in a cold time.