Empty

January 20, 2006

No good news today. After eight hours at Children’s Hospital, the earlier findings were confirmed. Our little boy has a pronounced, bilateral cleft lip and palate. He has what our cardiologist described as the “worst” of fetal heart defects: he basically has half of a heart. And our genetics Doctor has grave concerns about possible further anomalies, including several chromosomal syndromes. So we’ll return for some more tests next week, and regular monitoring thereafter.

If there is any relief, it is that our daughter appears to be perfectly healthy. And that the very generous and kind people at the world-class Children’s Hospital in DC literally held our hands and led us through a very, very long and indescribably difficult day.

17 Responses to “Empty”

1. Ross says:

>>If there is any relief, it is that our daughter appears to be perfectly healthy.

Rest in that peace.. Thank you God

2. P3T3RK3Y5 says:

i have no words mike…

3. Deanna says:

Thanks for giving us the update – sharing hard news isn’t fun, but we appreciate being able to pray alongside you.

Breathe in, breathe out – take one day at a time. We love you all.

Mike and Stacy,

You have been in my thoughts and prayers all day. I’m so sorry that the news wasn’t better. Elizabeth is also very upset for you. She was in a middle of a tantrum when I read your blog and she stopped cold in her tracks to say a prayer for you and your little ones.

I am very happy and releaved to hear your baby girl is fine. That is a blessing. As sad as we are for one, we are thankful for the other. May you find peace on this road that you travel… and know you are not alone.

5. We love you guys dearly.

6. emmegab says:

Mike and Stacy, I only know you through your sweet sister-in-law, and have been following your pregnancy through her, and now the blog. I’m a mother of twins, so we have that connection as well.
    I am so very sorry for this disheartening news, and am praying for God’s peace to be surrounding you in ways you’ve never seen or felt in the days to come.

7. WMS says:

I’m here for you. We’re here for you. Whatever needs there may be.

8. sparksfly says:

We want so badly to take this hurt from you. Our tears and constant prayers are with you.

9. timthewelsh says:

We love you so much.
    We wish we could stand in your place.
    We’re praying for you all.

10. Erin says:

Oh, man. This is a hard one. Wish we lived close enough to come by with a box of Kleenex. Love.

11. Rebecca says:

We’re with you in this.

I hear your hurt, and I’m just so overwhelmed with you.
    My sweet little niece and nephew have been on my heart constantly, along with you and Stacy. Please know that I have rallied quite a force of prayer warriors here in Iowa, and we’re all lifting you all up.
    I just had a message from Pete, asking what we knew, so I’m going to call him and Mom & Dad and read what you wrote. Wish there was more I could do for you. Love you all–Pamela

13. Kevin Michaelsen says:

I know we just reconnected a couple of days ago but my heart aches for you, Stacy and your two children. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Kevin M.

14. Craig Bob says:

We’re praying across the miles.

We love you guys SO much. Thank you both for allowing us to sit in this place with you as much as is possible. I wish there was more we can do. Please, God, be with Mike and Stacy and their little ones…
    (Matt and Kate)

16. My heart is heavy as I read this. There is nothing more precious than the beauty of a child. I wish blessings and all things peaceful to you.

17. Scott says:

I hope that your next news will be of an improved condition. I’ll try to keep some positive thoughts pointed in your direction for ya.