On the Other Hand…

November 27, 2005

I’m not sure what it is about the regular conflation of ecstacy and agony in my life. But it’s true: very frequently, as I’m enjoying some great happiness, a tragic event shakes the earth under me.

Friday, as I was visiting with old friends and preparing to head to the wedding rehearsal, my wife started experiencing some very foreboding symptoms related to her pregnancy. Which is to say, it looked for all the world like we were losing at least one of our precious children, who I can say without the slightest exaggeration that I love more deeply than I could previously imagine. Our doctor prepared us for what we were likely to experience, and sent us to the hospital for monitoring and testing.

Going to the department where my wife works was, all at once, comforting and agonizing. As we were buzzed into the secure area, we saw a couple leaving with twins. Which just about killed me. I wanted to paint the whole world black, and remove each and every piece of mother-and-child art from every single room. And yet, seeing friends and co-workers providing complete and compassionate care was reassuring and inspiring.

The tests which were done were inconclusive. The hard data at hand suggests that we ought to expect the worst. But the other data doesn’t confirm this. The ultrasound showed two babies moving, with hearts beating and with plenty of fluid around both of them. So we just don’t know.

And so, we wait. We’re home again, waiting for our appointment on Tuesday where further testing will be done. We wait in that familiar place of fueling the hope that burns within us, while at the same time preparing for the worst. We wait with our family and friends who pray with us and for us, loaning us their hope. We wait, and we wait, and we wait.

12 Responses to “On the Other Hand…”

1. We remember you daily. We pray our Creator’s all-encompassing shalom on the four of you. Love.

2. Will says:

We are praying…

our hearts and prayers are for all four of you

4. WMS says:

I am praying earnestly

5. John Musick says:

Oh, Mike & Stacy – My heart is heavy for you but I am full of faith. My girls and I are praying for you.

6. Becky and Billy says:

May God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19) Our entire church wept with Billy and me, while they prayed for your children’s safety. They praise the God of the universe for knitting them in Stacy and they still praise him while you endure such pain. We haven’t stopped praying and we won’t. Our hearts are broken and we love you so much.

7. Billy and Becky says:

Mike, will you e-mail us your personal address? Our home address is bpsparks at comcast dot net…

8. dawrw says:

I’m grateful that our God, Lord of the entire universe, is gently holding the lives of your precious children. It always comforts me to know that God loves my children much more than I do. I too am praying earnestly for you and your babies.

I just want you to know that we’re praying for you and thinking of you. Let me know if you need anything. Laura

10. Ross says:

I can’t write anything better than to quote and agree with Kate… this is my prayer too:

please remember my dear friends Mike and Stacy in your prayers. They’re about three months pregnant with twins, and it’s the most blessed event ever — take my word for it — and they will make the best parents in the history of mankind, and they’re having a scary week. Some bad, scary signs and complications.
    Please beg God that He will allow these precious lives to join us here on this earth, in five or six months, when it would be a good time. Because we all want to know them, and there are many, many lives that will be blessed by them. So please, God. If there is any way to let this happen. As Stacy’s brother once said, a long time ago, in regards to another life-or-death situation … all we can do is ask You.

11. randy buist says:

Amen. We hold you before God. We hope for the very best.
    With Love,
    randy & kathy

It seems so insufficient to say that Jason & I are praying for you, but we are. It also never fails to amaze me how the two of you handle hardship with so much dignity and grace. Love, Julie