Lurkers

October 28, 2005

What do Bono and my friend Tim The Welsh have in common?

They can both sing the heck out of any song.

They both have that certain onstage swagger. Whether or not they happen to be onstage.

They both posess the rugged good looks which seem to only come from the British Isles.

They are both of <*ahem*> lesser stature.

They both have the Kingdom oozing out of their pores.

They both appreciate a good pint.

They both evoke jealousy from Tom Jones.

They are both married to loyal, patient, wonderful women.

They both have multiple children (hurrah!).

They are both Apple loyalists.

They both read, but never comment on, this blog.

8 Responses to “Lurkers”

1. [REDACTED] says:

Can you prove that Bono reads this, or are you full of crap? I need some hard evidence.

2. I was just fishing for lurkers. Caught the first one pretty quickly; we’ll see how the rest of the trip goes.

You’re pretty funny … nice line at the end.

4. WMS says:

Bono asked me to file a comment for him. He wants to know why you don’t RSVP to his One Campaign meetings anymore.

Um, I certainly won’t debate the fine physical merits of Timmy OR Bono (though he — Bono — has a certain stinky look to him — oh, well), but I can tell you with ABSOLUTE certainty that the British Isles are NOT the sole, or perhaps even A, source of good-looking men. Ugh. Ugh.
    *shudder*

6. John C in London says:

Kate W… you watch your pretty little mouth young lady.

You’ve clearly spent too much time in Swansea. May I just point out that there is a major physical difference between the little celtic chaps like Tim and Bono and their finely chiselled English oppressors.

All right, and in all seriousness, I was thinking, “though my dear friend John is a GIANT exception! A total hottie! But I don’t want to get in trouble with his wife by saying so in public!”
    Way to out me, John, as your secret admirer. Sheesh.

8. timthewelsh says:

Phew, Mike! Nice write up. It’s been at least a few weeks now since I’ve been compared to Bono.

I do pray for Kate, and for John. I particularly pray for John’s national rugby team – may they not receive such an unmerciful pasting from the “little” Celtic Welshies during the next Six Nations Cup.

Amen.

I guess writing this comment breaks the last of mine and Bono’s referenced similarities. In which case, may I offer to make the numbers back up by announcing my new habit of wearing only black and shiny leather outfits and massive black sunglasses, no matter what weather these blessed Isles offer.

Oh, and I guess there’s one more similarity – in that I too went through a period of my life where I insisted on people calling me ‘The Fly’. It made for a few issues at home – I’d sometimes spend hours locked in the bathroom with my mother arguing with me through the door “Tim, this is silly – please come down for dinner!”… “No mother, not until you call me ‘The Fly’ will I unlock this door.” It really freaked my parents out for a while, which is sort of the catalyst for why I ended up in the States. But that’s a story for another time.

Keep rockin in the Kingdom y’all.